Balancing the blades in Gort

We were back in Gort on Tuesday 4th of November to balance the blades and install the dumpload.

The balance was out a bit you could tell by the shaking of the guy wires and the tail. The day was nice and calm and we lowered the turbine down so that the blades just cleared the ground and we got it done in no time so she is now balanced nicely.

 

 

We spotted two problems. On the front triangle of plywood the paint has bubbled around the edges where the screws are and it dos not look like marine ply as the wood is also starting to separate the paint is top quality marine stuff and put on by a pro (Flor) so that is not the problem he sanded it a bit and put on some varnish to try and seal it. And there is a little crack on the back of one blade probably caused by a plane or spoke shave going against the grain not serious though we put some glue on it.

 

 

We decided to leave the replacement of the triangle until September and also the blade to see how it all wears but if it looks bad we will do it before that.

The resistors for the dumpload finally arrived six 3.1 ohm 300w wired in parallel and I bent some metal and mounted a slate on the wall behind it so it should be ok it pulled 43a and got nice and hot so the dogs will be happy on stormy winter nights.

 

 

The best power we seen was 42a in a strong wind and dipping down to 18a. All the lights and some sockets are running of it nice and easy and now that all the bulbs are cfls so next visit we will wire all the house except the freezer and dryer looks like they are heading for an off grid house.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *