Iliocht’s 2.4m wind turbine

This is Illiocht’s 2.4m wind turbine which we worked on two years ago, see this post.

I got a call from him over a week ago saying that he could not brake his machine and it was running wild in a storm, when we got to his place it had been running wild for around two hours, not a nice sight. This machine has all nine wires running down the mast with the rectifiers in a box at the bottom, with the stop switch on the DC side in the battery house. It looked like water got into the box and shorted out the dc end, resulting in one of the conductors melting.

I cut two wires at a time and shorted them together, this slowed the turbine down slowly and also left less volts for me to handle, I would not have liked striping a 3 phase system at that speed 🙂 So we left it shorted for a few days as we hadn’t the time to drop it and just as well because today was calm and we ran in to a problem while lowering it, someone had built a shed in the path of the top stay.

This we got around by disconnecting the stays from the anchor and adding a piece of rope to let the mast swing to the left and clear the shed. We had a few ideas on how to solve the problem for erecting the mast again from cutting the corner off the shed to moving anchors and stuff I can’t print then  Niall came up with the solution to drop the mast in the opposite direction.

Smoke

Before we noticed bad shed to the left.

X marks the stay

 

Bent base and a nice twist.

Captions for this photo are welcome and you might even get a prize.

Blades off.

The black paint had faded and chipped a bit not bad for two years “ideally servicing should be done once a year.”  Yea right.

More here —>

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *