We were back in Gort on Tuesday 4th of November to balance the blades and install the dumpload.
The balance was out a bit you could tell by the shaking of the guy wires and the tail. The day was nice and calm and we lowered the turbine down so that the blades just cleared the ground and we got it done in no time so she is now balanced nicely.
We spotted two problems. On the front triangle of plywood the paint has bubbled around the edges where the screws are and it dos not look like marine ply as the wood is also starting to separate the paint is top quality marine stuff and put on by a pro (Flor) so that is not the problem he sanded it a bit and put on some varnish to try and seal it. And there is a little crack on the back of one blade probably caused by a plane or spoke shave going against the grain not serious though we put some glue on it.
We decided to leave the replacement of the triangle until September and also the blade to see how it all wears but if it looks bad we will do it before that.
The resistors for the dumpload finally arrived six 3.1 ohm 300w wired in parallel and I bent some metal and mounted a slate on the wall behind it so it should be ok it pulled 43a and got nice and hot so the dogs will be happy on stormy winter nights.
The best power we seen was 42a in a strong wind and dipping down to 18a. All the lights and some sockets are running of it nice and easy and now that all the bulbs are cfls so next visit we will wire all the house except the freezer and dryer looks like they are heading for an off grid house.
Hi folks, we were back Crann Og today, Saturday October 18, full crew consisted of Flor and Marion, Dinger, Sean, Niall, Jimmy and Miriam. After a lazy breakfast we set about putting things back together, having first admired the great paint job that Flor did. First was the new bearing and then fitting the stator and rotors, using the jacking screws to lower the rotor and ensuring that all the gaps are even.
Next we brought the blades back outside to put them together, using the identification marks to ensure that the blades were in the right order with each other. Dinger and Flor went around with the tape measure until we had the required distance between the tips and then it was out with battery screwdrivers, three of them, to fix the blades in place.
Back into the workshop to fix the tail to the tail frame and then after a coffee break it was time to bring everything into the field, using the tractor again to carry the alternator. It seemed easier this time round to fix the body of the turbine to the mast, using a little gentle persuasion (a 2×3) and then fix the blades, Niall measured the blade tips from the horizontal to ensure the best position.
Dinger and Jimmy raised the mast and the colours looked great even in the cloudy conditions, all went smoothly and she was spinning as soon as the brake was thrown, sounding lovely, a gentle roar when the wind picked up.
Tomorrow we are expecting winds up to 110kmph! That should test her out – the tirfor is still attached so there might be a pyjama party in the field if the winds come earlier and heavier than expected!
We’ll let ye know…
Surviving well and producing plenty of power we are going back in a week or so and will give a full report then.